Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

April 2015 Workshops, Conferences, etc.


Last Saturday, I was invited to give a two-hour Creative Writing workshop to a small group of BCS students; I even prepared a handy handout featuring a variety of writing exercises for the occasion. The contents of the workshop were inspired by Northrop Frye's archetypal criticism, which I tried to make more accessible by avoiding as much of the scholarly jargon as possible. All things considered, I think it went relatively well. 

Yesterday I gave a talk at Université de Sherbrooke's fourth annual Conference on Contemporary Religion, in which I used Frye's Anatomy of Criticism to call attention to the reificatory tendencies of structuralist concepts of myth in the works of Carl Jung, Mircea Eliade, and Joseph Campbell. I also attended a number of talks, including a fascinating discussion of a study of secular magical objects.

A few days ago, Sacred and Sequential published an interview with Sordid City Blues author Charles S. Snow. I get credited for the interview, an honour which I feel is somewhat undeserved. My contribution to the piece was rather limited to writing the questions: in all honesty, it was Mr. Snow -- and Sacred and Sequential's editor A. David Lewis -- who did most of the work.

No comments

Post a Comment